WELCOME

The date is August 1914. The British Expeditionary Force is in France and You're in the Royal Field Artillery. You're riding alongside one of the battery's gun limbers on its way to the assigned position on the east side of Mons, Belgium. This begins your journey into the Hell they called World War One. To purchase this historical memoir go to https://createspace.com/3649268

Friday, October 12, 2012

British WWI Soldier Returns Home


I'm trying to come up with an acronym or a title for a new blog about Americans returning British soldiers World War One documents back to England in time for the WWI centennial in 2014.

After writing my book, "The    I pondered on what to do with my grandfather's British military documents. They are a family heirloom that I cherish, but who should I select to take care of them after me? I already experienced the lack of interest from my brother. My children don't seem interested, which causes me concern regarding their care after I'm gone.

Because of their historical importance in telling my grandfather's war experiences I decided to donate them to the Imperial War Museum in London. After all, he was a British soldier and his documents would be of greater interest in the UK than in the US. This decision also gave me peace in the knowledge that his documents will be forever cared for. I will not worry that at some point in time his journal and documents might end up in a garage sale or worse of all, thrown away. Most importantly I feel it would be something that my grandfather would want. He would like to rejoin his comrades, to be taken back home.

So I was thinking last night, "There are no doubt hundreds of families that have inherited pictures and documents that once belonged to an English relative that served in the British Army during World War One." "Perhaps they, like myself, would want to safeguard their precious documents and donate them to the Imperial War Museum."

Please consider this meaningful gesture and let me know if you are interested by adding your thoughts in the comment section of this blog.

No comments: