WELCOME

The date is August 1914. The British Expeditionary Force is in France and You're in the Royal Field Artillery. You're riding alongside one of the battery's gun limbers on its way to the assigned position on the east side of Mons, Belgium. This begins your journey into the Hell they called World War One. To purchase this historical memoir go to https://createspace.com/3649268

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Grandfather's journal May 1 - 4th 1915

All his journal entries are in my book "World War 1 - An Unkept Promise" on Kindle or paperback "The Great Promise" on Amazon Available in US, UK, EU.


May 1st to 4th
We were still in same position. The hostile shelling never ceases, day or night.
We fire mostly by aeroplane wireless - attacks and counter attacks twice daily.
Batteries on our left seem to get it jolly hot, but in spite of the gases and their preponderance of artillery, we are informed that we have stopped the march on CALAIS.
We were ordered to move with Lahore Division, (which was now sadly depleted in numbers) to move on the night of the 4th.
I was billeting and Mr Donahue and I left about 5 pm, and eventually, after a hard ride, found billets some 1.5 miles from Ypres in a village I never knew the name of. I left at midnight to conduct the Battery.
It was raining all night and I tied my horse to the railings of a churchyard, determined to get a drink somewhere and something to eat. After a while I came on an establishment and vigorously knocked, which was opened by a Staff Officer. I told him I wanted something to eat and drink. He was very good and took me inside and fixed me up.
I left refreshed, While it was still raining and cold; I eventually met the Battery about 6 o'clock.

I got some breakfast from the Officer's cooks of the Ammunition Column and then had a sleep about 10 am. 

No comments: